By the 13th century a de Reddish family lived at Reddish Hall on a site just outside the modern park boundary to the north-west. The ornate timber building was demolished in 1780, although clear signs of the moat remained on 19th century maps and a victorian farm was built in its place.
Another important local family seat was Wood Hall located on a site in the South West of the existing park in the area still known as Woodhall Fields. This was possibly of medieval origin but certainly existed by the 1590s. During the Civil War it was home to the Stanley family, which was torn apart by conflicting rivalries, as Edward was a staunch parliamentarian while Henry supported the King. The house was still in existence in the early 20th century but was later demolished and no visible trace is left today, although the site may be of some archaeological value.