Brinnington is first recorded in the 1320's when it was acquired by the Dokenfeld family and included the modern day residential area that became the Portwood industrial area to the South. The name derives from the Old English "Bryni's Tun" or Bryni's farm. Tiviot Dale, to the south-eastern part of the country park today, formed part of the demesne of their second family home at Portwood Hall, which once included a deer park.
Until well into the 19th century the predominant economic activity in both Reddish and Brinnington was agriculture. At Brinnington in fact this continued right up to the second world war when several farms were the only properties in the area. One of them, Maycroft Farm, gave its name to the Primary School which is built on the same site.